Celebration Cakes

Last night I made the first of the Christmas Cakes, this one is for a raffle at the Lions club Christmas dinner. It was nice to have the time to enjoy the process of making it but would have been nice to have some helpers to stir the mixture. Peter got home just in time to lick the bowl!



The house smelt delicious while it was cooking. My favourite part is when I take it out of the oven, unwrap it and turn it out and then pour a few tablespoons of brandy over it while it hot. The brandy sizzles as it soaks in.
I think it looks nice and hope someone wins it who will enjoy it.
Today is Peters birthday.The first time we have both been home on one of our birthdays for years I think so  I thought I would make a cake. I came across this recipe recently on Mathew Evans blog,

http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/gourmetfarmer/recipes/detail/recipe/8292
and wanted an excuse to try it. It reminded me of the old sour cream chocolate cake I used to make when the girls were small.
 I think it was in an old  Rotary Cookbook. It was a real favourite.

Sour Cream chocolate Cake
3/4 cup hot coffee -instant (although I am sure espresso would taste even better)
1/2 cup cocoa
1  1/4 cup   sugar
125g butter
3 eggs separated
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp carb soda
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup sugar extra

Stir hot coffee gradually into cocoa. Combine 1 1/4 cups sugar with butter, egg yolks, vanilla and half the cocoa mixture. Beat until light and creamy. Mix bicarb soda and sour cream together. Ass sour cream and cocoa mixture to butter mixture alternatively with sifted flour. Beat egg whites until stiff, gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar, beat until meringue stands in stiff peaks. fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into 9 or 10 inch greased and paper lined deep cake tine. Bake in moderate oven for 1 -1 1/2 hrs. Cool on a rack.

Sour Cream Frosting
125g dark chocolate
1/2 cup sour cream
pinch salt
4 dessertspoon icing sugar

Melt chopped chocolate over hot water. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly then stir in sour cream and salt. Add sifted icing sugar and beat until spreadable consistency, spread over cake when cake is cool.

The Mathew Evans one is a bit quicker to make. Here it is just out of the oven. I dont think I would have been able to get almond meal in willow Tree in 1980 though!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An abundance of eggs

On my mind

Fried Zucchini Flower Recipe