Moroccan inspired vegetable casserole

In the absence of any international dining around here, other than the dumbed down ubiquitous Chinese and Thai, I strive to keep my own cooking international and flavourful. Well I haven't been to Morocco yet but I like all the flavours that appear in recipes for Moroccan food so have come up with my own quick and easy Vegetarian Tagine or casserole. I like to make this when I feel we need something a bit special and have had a surfeit of meat. Monday nights when we have guests staying and have eaten too much meat, eggs and the like on the weekend.

Ingredients
 Two brown or red onions cut into chunks
2 cloves Garlic, smashed
1 dessertspoon finely grated ginger
1 tablespoon Turmeric, fresh if you have it, I never do so its the powder
2 tsps Ground cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
about four cups of vegetables cut into cubes, you could choose from sweet potato, potato, pumpkin, carrots, celery, cauliflower, beans etc. whatever needs to be used up really. I think the carrot adds to the sweetness but as I'm writing think that eggplant, capsicum and zucchini would also work.
Preserved lemon
400g crushed tomatoes
stock or water as required
salt and pepper
fresh mint and or coriander
Method
Put some olive oil into a heavy based casserole or Tagine if you have one (I don't)
Toss in the onions, garlic, ginger and fry gently for a few moments until they soften a bit
Then add the dry spices and fry until fragrant
throw in all the vegetables
add the tomatoes and stock or water if you need a bit more water ( you don't want it to be too watery)
season to taste. bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer or place in a slow oven for an hour or so.
When the vegetables are soft add some preserved lemon cut into small pieces and the fresh herbs
Serve with large cous cous or small, chick peas, rice or pasta.
You can do the same recipe with chicken or meat or you can break a couple of eggs into the casserole when everything else is cooked and cook them for a few minutes.


Comments

Kimmie said…
Oh I like the sound of this! Definitely going to try this recipe. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
Very inspiring recipe.Nothing is better tahn homemade;)
Cytaty Sukces said…
It looks very delicious. I try this recipe tomorrow. Today I have a lot of work. My boss watching me, so I'm not bored in work ;) Maybe I should change my office job? If I was a chef I might cook at work and nobody complaint :)

Popular posts from this blog

An abundance of eggs

On my mind

Fried Zucchini Flower Recipe