Pomegranates perfect for our climate

When we first moved here I went to the farmers market in Cowra. Sadly they didn't have much for sale but I bought the most beautiful, deep red pomegranates. It was at the time when the health benefits of this beautiful fruit were starting to be publicised. I don't think I had ever seen a pomegranate until quite recently and have no recollection of seeing pomegranate trees growing. Around the same time I read a book about a Pomegranate Orchard in Crete. As the fruit were so lovely to look at I kept them in a bowl in the kitchen for ages and then I thought I would have a go at growing some from seeds as I had never seen them in the plant nurseries for sale. I cant remember how many seeds I planted but eventually two little trees emerged. I nurtured these and kept them in pots for about a year when they were about six inches high. When our old cat Mitzi died I decided to plant one of them out and buried her underneath it. The other tree I planted up with the nut trees. both trees have thrived despite the drought and last year I picked the first two pomegranates from Mitzi's tree. They were the lovely deep red of the originals. I have planted a few more trees that I got from the Orange farmers market as well.

Pomegranates are a lovely little tree, glossy green foliage, deciduous, bright orange flowers and marvellous fruit that is very good for you. I wonder why there are not more of  them around in this area as they are perfect in this climate. I saved the seeds from this years fruit and have planted them in little pots so hopefully will have lots more trees. this year all the trees are flowering so I think we will get a nice crop of pomegranates in a few months and the pleasure of looking at them on the tree as well.

Comments

Linda Woodrow said…
I should think your climate will be perfect - pomegranates are native to the northern part of the Middle East. Mine is a bit too wet in autumn most years, and we get fruit fly. Most years we get a crop, but some years, if we get a wetter than usual summer and a drier than usual autumn, we get a bumper crop, and it is such a luxury. Last year was like that and I posted a few recipes. I'm looking forward to hearing how long yours take to bear from seed, and whether the fruit is true to type.
Anne said…
Well Linda the first tree took 4 years to fruit from seed and the next 5. The trees igot from the markets are flowering this year, theri second year, so I guess it depends on the season. The two fruit i had last year were true to type.

Popular posts from this blog

An abundance of eggs

On my mind

Fried Zucchini Flower Recipe