The First Tomatoes of the Season

I picked the first tomatoes of the season yesterday.




Following lPeter Cundall 's advice I have picked them when they started to colour and have them sitting in a cool spot in the kitchen. On the wood stove actually, as it is not lit at the moment. They grew on a volunteer bush in the Jemima rose garden. We ate one the other morning and it was a bit disappointing, you could tell its origins were a supermarket tomato not one of our nice heritage ones. Never mind the ones I planted are almost ripe, the Christmas Grape Tomatoes will be first I think followed by some Tigerilla's. The volunteer has a lot of tomatoes on it though so i think i will use it to make an early batch of Green tomato chutney which we usually cant get enough of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An abundance of eggs

On my mind

Fried Zucchini Flower Recipe