We plan to sell about half of them soon so today have divided them up into two groups. the little ones have gone into the back shed without their mothers and the incubator ones have had their wing feathers clipped to stop them flying into the garden and over fences. We also put yellow tags on their legs so we will be able to identify them as they grow. Doing all this was quite a production and then just as we put the little ones in their new home we realised that they have also become good at flying as one flew right to the top of the shed, where there is about a four inch gap that they could get through. We then cut their wing feathers too. As we completed that one of the little ones escaped through a piece of mesh.
Now we have twelve where they should be and one little chick getting mothered by three anxious black hens. We will have to catch it again this evening.
The runaway chick
Chicks in their new quarters.
Bruce, the gobbler, is still anxiously gobbling and trying to round up his girls and the incubator chicks have recovered from the stress of it all and are off foraging, not too far I hope.