Perfect Potatoes

We haven't bought potatoes for months. Partly because there are so many other things that need to be eaten and partly because there are a lot in the garden. I have planted potatoes each year we have been here and they have never done particularly well but well enough to persist and the taste is fantastic. The thing that happens is that they spread over the garden and keep on coming up, so as well as those I have purposely planted there are loads of volunteers.
Last year I decided to be a bit more organised and planted out about forty potatoes of different varieties, in rows in a new area of garden. I fastened the bags they came in to sticks so I would know what was what. Well of course the bags blew away! shortly after the plants had emerged we went into our early, hot, dry summer and they all disappeared. I dug over that patch in the winter and did not see any signs of potatoes at all. I have planted pumpkins there now and they are doing beautifully but in among them are loads of potato plants. The heat wave last week browned off lots of the potatoes so when I was working in that part of the garden yesterday I decided to dig one up and see what was happening. From one plant 2 1/2 kilos of perfect potatoes.

Roasted rosemary  potatoes for dinner with our left over   lasagna last night. Mashed potatoes with our sausage casserole tonight and a potato salad with homemade mayonnaise for lunch with some friends  tomorrow.

When I was out digging the potatoes I noticed one of the white turkeys on her own. One went missing about a week and a half ago, so I watched her and sure enough it was the missing turkey sitting on about eight eggs in the long grass outside the yard. She is doing OK there so I will leave her there and see what happens. We have not had any foxes about for ages so all being well we will see her with some babies in about two weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An abundance of eggs

On my mind

Fried Zucchini Flower Recipe