Using the Zucchini harvest

Five days away from home last week so of course I returned to an oversupply of Zucchinis. Not really an oversupply, more a test of my imagination and cooking skills. There was only one Black Jack that had really got away so I picked it and shared it between the turkeys and the worms. One of the great things about keeping poultry is that nothing ever goes to waste, just gets converted into meat or eggs.
That being disposed on I still had about five kilos of various types of zucchini to use.
First up a Zucchini bread. On the weekend I had a very poor example of pear and raspberry bread, in a tourist trap cafe at circular Quay, I really cant think what possessed us to go there. I also had a very nice example of the same at Palate Pleasure in Bowral. I thought I could make a similar loaf using Zucchinis. It turned out very nicely.



Zucchini Bread
3 cups grated zucchini
2 cups raw sugar
2 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup of nuts, I used macadamias that needed using up

mix all these together and then add
4 eggs lightly beaten
125 g melted butter or oil of your choice 
Bake in a loaf tin at 180 for about an hour or until cooked.


That still left me with a kilo of rond de nice,
I decided to incorporate them into our dinner of roasted tomato sauce and new potatoes, that worked out well. 


I still have a lot of trombocinos. 
Tonight I will grate them up and saute with herbs and garlic to use as a filling for a lasagna with home made pasta. I was able to get some more spelt flour on the weekend so will use that for the pasta. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An abundance of eggs

On my mind

Fried Zucchini Flower Recipe