Cooking with Jemima

I have just been looking at my photos from Katie and Jemima's visit. A lot of them involve the animals or cooking. I think my favourites are of her helping me to cook. These days I am lucky enough to have a kitchen with large benches so it is easy for a small person to sit on the stool  and help to cook. Just before they arrived i found some lovely retro stools with backs for my kitchen. They became Jemima's stools for the duration of her visit.
I found myself cooking things I have not cooked for a long time and thoroughly enjoyed the trip down memory lane as well as my helper. When the girls were little one of my stand by biscuit recipes were "Hokey Pokey" biscuits. I found the recipe in the Quirind Hospital cookbook I think. anyway they are quick and easy to make, require very few ingredients and have an appearance and texture that little children enjoy. Jemima certainly did, and her Mum. Poppy Pete also seemed to like having sweet homemade biscuits in the house regularly too!
 Hokey pokey Biscuits
Ingredients
125 g butter (softened)
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup (or honey)
1 tablespoon milk
1 tsp bi carb soda
1& 1/2 cups plain flour
Method

 preheat oven to 180 Celsius, line 2 large baking trays with baking paper
Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Gently heat milk and golden syrup together and then mix in carb soda. this will froth up a bit like honeycomb.
Pour this mixture into butter mixture. Add sifted flour and mix to combine. 
Form into small balls, dip lightly in sugar and place on baking tray, flatten with a fork.
Bake for about ten minutes until golden.
remove from oven and cool on a rack.
So easy and delicious.


 
 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An abundance of eggs

On my mind

Fried Zucchini Flower Recipe