Portugese Pumpkin Jam

I am looking for interesting ways to use up all my Pumpkins. I thought I would have a go at freezing some this year so we have a few over the summer months. I am also hoping that the larger blue and green hard skinned varieties will last well. We have been eating pumpkin nearly every meal, in curries, stir fries and roasted. I made a big batch of Pumpkin Chutney    and actually sold all the bottles I took to the car boot sale. The Eugowra Palate must be getting more adventurous.
I also came across a recipe for Portuguese Pumpkin Jam.
This is a real winner. Unusual, very tasty, great on sourdough toast , quick and easy to make as well.
Here is what you do.

Portuguese Pumpkin Jam

1.5 kilo pumpkin, weigh it after you have peeled and cut it into small pieces.
1.5 kilo sugar
grated zest and juice of two lemons
1 heaped tablespoon of grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp cumin powder

Put the pumpkin and half a cup of water in a heavy based pan and cook until it is soft.
Add sugar and stir until dissolved
Add lemon zest and juice and boil until the jam is thick and luscious looking, took less than twenty minutes.
bottle while hot
I think it looks absolutely beautiful in the jar as well. also very pretty in a white bowl!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An abundance of eggs

On my mind

Fried Zucchini Flower Recipe