The first zucchinis

After a month away from home and a week of jetlag and flu my garden is not at its best. I've been struggling to find the motivation to do the hard work required to get it back into the condition i want it to be. Tidy, attractive and most of all productive.
I did get some summer planting done before i went away and have been rewarded with the first of the Zucchinis. zucchinis are one of my favourite vegetables and I am really pleased wit this new/old variety I have planted this year. They are a very attractive variety and have really good flavour and texture. I think the black beauties will be a thing of the past and I will go with these "Costata" as a main crop and one or two Rond de Nice and Trombocinnos for variety.


The garlic was ready for harvest while i was away so although the stems have mostly withered i am in the process of digging this up. It was  mostly in one large bed so not too hard to find although there are a few scattered about. I don't mind if some are left in the ground to go to seed and to come up again next year.


A funny thing happened the other day, our old cat Napkins, came back. He has always been a bit wild  as Peter raised him from a stray kitten. He left home when Elle arrived. That was in February, so he has been gone a long while, although we did see him from time to time and once I caught him in the fox trap. However he now seems to be back for good and is being quite friendly with Elle. What a survivor he is. I'm happy to see him back as I once saw him eat a baby brown snake and thought that was a useful skill for a cat to have!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An abundance of eggs

On my mind

Fried Zucchini Flower Recipe