Popular posts from this blog
Turkeys
Peter grew up on a Turkey farm so we always intended to breed turkeys when we had the space. what we didn't know was how rare they had become and how hard it is to get any turkeys other than white ones. We started off with what was supposed to be a breeding trio but poor old Bruce was well past his use by date. We later found some turkey chicks, white and slate grey, they have formed out breeding stock so far.We hope to find some blue and bourbon reds as well when we have a bit more time to put to this task. Our first lot of turkey chicks were a bit tragic as we had not realized that they can be very careless mothers and actually just knock the chickens over. Turkey chicks are not as robust as our backyard , crossbreed chickens. Our last lot of turkeys hatched out just after Christmas and the mother threw the first one out of the nest. Zoe and I rescued it and brought it into the house. As each egg hatched we also rescued them and ended up raising them in a box, with a light fo...
Fried Zucchini Flower Recipe
I was feeling quite overwhelmed by this monster of a garden on Saturday. I have been away three days a week for the last few weeks and things are quite out of control again. The tomatoes are in urgent need of attention as are the pumpkins. Zucchini vines and pumpkins are covered in mildew and my giant pumpkin has dissolved into a rotting mess. Not to mention the lawns need mowing, the edges need trimming, the cat heads are flourishing. I had hoped for a tidy, orderly garden by the time Katie and Jemima arrived but it is not to be. At least it is a productive mess. I was considerably cheered up by the very first decent eggplants I have ever grown. Aren't they just beautiful. I don't know why they have failed to fruit in the past but this variety in particular is doing very well this year. The eggplants inspired me to make a sort of tasting plate for our dinner fresh from the garden. The beans have come good again so there were: beans with olive oil, garlic and preserved lemon...
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Comments