Life on the farm

I am feeling inspired about social media connections and the possibilities of supportive online communities about all things farming. I often feel that my ideas about sustainable and organic farming are not well supported in the environment in which we live so go online to find ideas and resources and there are many. I have been playing around with Instagram and following lots of interesting blogs and podcasts about farming, organics, food, cooking and creativity in general so I thought I would give my blog a bit of an overhaul and try to get back in the habit of posting.
What is uppermost in my farming mind at present is the state of our paddocks and soil. We had a really harsh autumn, the stock were not moved enough and as a result our paddocks became quite degraded and run down. We really should have started supplementary feeding months before we did.
Now we have had a wet winter and an amazing start to spring, things are starting to recover but we have also decided to introduce some elements of strip grazing and better pasture management . We are just at the start of our first rotation, I think we can make thirteen small paddocks and graze the sheep followed by the cows with the goats in a separate system.
It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I am hoping for better pasture and better quality stock.
Our ewes are just finishing lambing and we have 11 lambs to date from eight ewes. We lost two lambs to bad weather and a fox. By next lambing season I hope to have part of the dam paddock set up as lambing paddock.
Below are some pictures of our full dams and green paddocks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An abundance of eggs

On my mind

Fried Zucchini Flower Recipe