Stay at home and do experiments

When my youngest daughter was about six she told me one day that she didn't think she needed to go to school any more. I asked her how would she learn? Her reply, "I will just stay at home and do experiments." Recently when I finished working in a demanding full time role she emailed me to say, "Now you can stay at home and do experiments" and I have to say this is pretty much what I am doing. Experiments in the garden and experiments in the kitchen. This little baking business is an opportunity to experiment, develop skills, achieve perfection and enjoy the feeling of staying at home and playing while still feeling like I am learning and being useful. The kitchen is certainly my focus at the moment and I just love to be in my kitchen. From a pretty unprepossessing space when we bought this old house, it is now a beautiful sunny, light filled space. I have the stove of my dreams and lots of cooking toys to play with. There are beautiful views from every window, including the window above the sink, which is just as well as I spend a good deal of time washing up after conducting said experiments. I quite like washing up and the sense of order it creates but it certainly helps to have a lovely window with a lovely view. I have been super busy baking this past week and looking forward to mastering more tricky technical bakes. I am very happy with the Macaron progress.



 















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An abundance of eggs

On my mind

Lotions and Potions